Tuesday, June 21, 2016

#24  Morning Evening Update from LOCKPORT, IL

WHITEHOUSECA: 3 SIRS and RV 

Yes, we made it to Lockport, Illinois.  The town my sister and I grew up in.  I was about five years old when my parents moved from southern Illinois (McLeansboro) to Lockport.  Keep McLeansboro in your vocabulary because we may visit it on our way back to CA. 
We were here last December for the funeral of Lee's mom.  Let's say since we been driving RV's in the last three years, we have been here many times.  I am sure in the coming week I will spend some time on this great city and the many things one can do while visiting.  Very historical one could say. It is raining this morning, not hard yet so the boys and I went out for their morning walk.  I must say Sir Henry did not enjoy going outside in light rain.  Sir Lancelot just loved it.  They are expecting some heavy rain and storms this morning.  Storms and rain are the reason I decided to drive and drive yesterday.  Another 10 hour driving day, but it was driving for 10 hours.  We only stopped every two hours for the dogs and if needed gas which brings me to this:
As I said before about making many trips here in the last three years---never have had gas prices like this one above from Iowa.  We try to stop at Pilot or Flying J truck stops where using your Good Sam's membership card saves you an additional 3 cents. 
We try to stop near Lockport and fill up before arriving.  Notice the prices?  Yes, higher in Illinois than Iowa, NE, WY and UT but lower than CA!
I have been asked what does Lee and the dogs due on a ten hour day while you are driving?

Henry and Lance take turns (sometimes both) at the pet window looking out.  I love it.  This window allows the dogs to watch what is going on outside.  Our first RV did not have a pet window and these two boys never really saw things outside.  Sir Winston would sit on the table and look out but you needed to keep the curtain open all the time.
As for Lee, when she is riding up front, a lot of time she has the workstation  open.  It has power supply and allows space for the maps and things.  She also works on some of her "crafts" either at the dinning table or in the back area.  We listen to sat. radio most of the time.  I can listen to news or music.  Now with cell phones, Lee can text or read email while we are moving.  We only were without service a few miles in NE and a few places in WY.  We use "Verizon" and overall get great service. 

We have been asked about "dog hair".  Yes, with dogs who have long hair can and does fall off in the RV.  Our RV does not have a built in vac system so  we carry a Dyson pet vac and try to use it each morning before we leave on the road.  The boys love it when I vac them too.  We bought a "pet brush" from Dyson years ago and they love the attachment.  It really does help. 

My next update from Lockport will be tomorrow.  Hopefully today I will be able to work on mileage and pricing etc.  Today, enjoy the family and the heat and humidity from the great state of  Illinois.  Just an added note----my heart is now working again.  Went to publish this and it was not there.  for a few seconds, I thought I lost it all.  I closed out of the site and reopened and "thank heaven" the auto saved it.


Until next time we meet on our journey:

No comments:

Post a Comment