Friday, July 1, 2016


#28  Made it to McLeansboro, IL



My sister, Harlene and I were born in McLeansboro, Illinois.  It is located in Hamilton County.  About 300 miles south of Lockport.  It is a place where time once stood still.  It has been moving into the 20th century so it is getting near the 21st. century.

We are staying at my cousin place located next to the farm I was born at.  We now will be staying a few extra days longer than planned.  When we arrived here—my slide would not open (expanded space in RV).  One of the motors seems not to be working.  We can do everything except have the extra space at night.  We are spending a few extra days here so we can get to Tucson to see the dealer before heading on home.  I had thought about coming into CA from the south so we can say we drove all of CA on one trip. Riding and driving an RV you can and will have problems.  It is a house on wheels.  The only real problem is getting it fixed when you want it and where to get it fix.  But that is another story.  Now back to McLeansboro.



Hamilton Country in Illinois has around 8,000 residents.  McLeansboro the biggest city in the county has 3,000.   When I was born (years ago) there were over 22,000 in the county.  Not a lot of “good” work.  Shopping is limited but it is small town America.  To get to a “real” city drive 30 miles.  To get to a good city drive 75 east or west.

My cousin live a few miles out of town.  He has built a small lake in the front of his house. We plug the RV in and sleep in the RV at night but during the day we spend in their house or going to the many “historical” places in the county.  I will include some stories and photos of this trip.  We entered the area on the old state route 45.  It had been 43 years since I had driven on that road.  It was the way my parents came down for visit before I-57 was built.  When I started driving in 1968, I-57 was only about 1/3 built and 45 was the road to use.  Small towns were many and I mean towns that had a name but no population.

Lee and I met the entire family at Tequila Mexican Restaurant – plenty of food (Lee and I even had some to bring back to the RV for later.  If you are in town, try it. Seems like a lot of the town’s residents come here for their Mexican food.  It is located next to the Ace Hardware and Food.



The first full day included talking and going shopping for items that Lee would use to make dinner (or here in this area called supper).  The first store we went to was an all in one super store-Ace Hardware with food.  You were able to get everything from meat, can goods, bread, milk and even worms.  They had a special on used concrete blocks but Lee would not let me get any.   What was very nice and maybe a trend that will come to the big stores -  a clip board where you could write down what you wanted the store to carry or get.  They did ask that you include the upc code in your request.

After supper/dinner it seems like the whole county goes to watch the kids play baseball.  Lee and I went along with the family because they have two up and coming baseball starts.

That is all for this update.  Next will be a visit to the “square”.  The county court house is built in the middle with the main stores in town (or former stores) built around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment